Ecommerce Solution Shopify vs Ecommerce Solution Magento: Which Option is Better for You
Finding and choosing the ideal appropriate ecommerce platform for creating, designing, maintaining, and managing an online store is of a huge importance as it can be the deciding factor responsible for either failure or success for your business. This is especially important for startups and small businesses since they have limited budgets and resources.
There are lots of different options on the market when it comes to ecommerce solutions, however, Shopify and Magento are without a doubt two of the best ones. You can’t go wrong if you decide to pick either one of them, but you should know that there are some huge differences between these two platforms.
In this article we are going to present you the fundamental differences between ecommerce solution Shopify and ecommerce solution Magento:
- Shopify is known as a commercial product (a product you have to pay for) while Magento is an open-source and free software.
- Shopify is a fully-managed platform and Magento requires for you to install setup, provide your own hosting, and configure everything before you can start designing your store.
Now that you are familiar with the crucial difference, let’s start the comparison:
- Online store functionality: Both ecommerce solution software offers basic store functionalities that are easy and yet powerful to use. It is proven that Shopify is significantly easier to setup and use when compared to Magento.
- Inventory management: When it comes to inventory management, the starter plan that Shopify offers limits you to maximum 25 store products while Magento offers you the opportunity to add an unlimited number of items.
- Shipping charges: Both Shopify and Magento allow powerful and flexible options for calculating the overall shipping charges which is one of the most important aspects of selling products online through an ecommerce platform.
- Payment gateway options: Shopify has the support of more than 70 payment gateways while Magento has a far lower number of payment gateway options.
- Templates and Themes: Both platforms offer a large selection of templates and themes to give your new ecommerce store a look and feel that will perfectly suit your taste and the products you are selling. The number of free templates offered by Shopify is smaller when compared to Magento, however, it must be noted that the free Shopify templates are more contemporary to the templates offered by Magento.
- SEO capabilities: Both Shopify and Magento offer great SEO capabilities to help you drive more organic traffic to your ecommerce store via Google and other search engines.